Monday, March 3, 2008

paper junky

I sometimes feel like a junky when I buy papers.  I love papers and I cannot leave a paper store empty handed.  I try to limit my paper buying but like any good addict sometimes I just need a good paper fix.  Although I always prefer to buy in person where I can feel each sheet and check dye lots and grain direction, the fact remains that I have 3 small children (a 6 year old with ants in his pants, a 5 year old with special needs and a 6 month old) so I often resort to purchasing online.  Thank you Al Gore for creating the internet...ha ha.  I am anxiously awaiting a shipment right now for a special commission (yes H it is for your box) and I can't wait... I am like a kid at Christmas when new papers arrive.  

I really love this Lokta paper for covering boxes.  It has a soft texture and the natural fibers of the paper are visible and I like that it is not soooo pristine.  I get my Lokta stash and many other fabulous papers from The Paper Studio .  Cindy Iverson, who owns the shop with her husband in Tempe Arizona, went through the same MFA for Book and Paper Arts program that I did.  I believe she graduated a few years behind me and besides being a very talented artist she then ran off and opened this wonderful paper store.  They offer classes and all sorts of stuff... check them out! 

 
Lokta paper



For making boxes with hinged lids I prefer using Momigami paper (Japanese crinkle paper). Momi paper is very strong, pliable, has as wonderful crumpled texture and hides a variety of sins.  I get it from Aiko's  in Chicago. I could spend hours in Aiko's... eye candy for the paper lover.  Sadly Aiko's is closing its doors for good on April 11th. They carry beautiful Japanese papers so stop in while you have the chance and take advantage of their sale going on now until April. Please note that they don't sell the momi papers online but you can find lots of lovely Chiyogami and other papers on their site.  You can contact them via email or phone if you had any questions and I am sure they would be more than happy to assist you.

Momi paper


I have also been known to frequent Paper Mojo and Talas for other papers, bookcloth, PVA and other adhesives. 

So my husband took over nose wiping duty for a bit this weekend so that I could get some work done in my studio (God bless him).  And as if that wasn't enough... I found that he also doubles as a pretty good hand model. 

Oh how I wish this was the only little bit of Green that I saw this weekend 


I actually sort of swept out my studio in a sort of half-a$$ed way and was appalled by the large pile of discarded scrap that I ended up with.  Little does my husband know, but I am secretly planning the new layout of my studio which will involve several hours of shelf assembly, countless swear words, a trip to IKEA and a few gallons of paint.  He will tell you that he would rather dig ditches naked in manure than paint so perhaps for now I will only bring up the shelves and IKEA trip for now.... I can bribe him with their Swedish meatballs.  

4 comments:

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Tis the season for the sniffles. Hope your household gets back to normal soon.

Love your work. The accordion books are fabulous and I can't wait to fill mine up with memories.

((hugs)) Rosie

rae said...

Thank you so much... I guess I should count my blessings as it could be so much worse.

I am so glad you like the books... :)

hugs
rae

Free Art Printables said...

I know it is a bad time..we are the same way. I won't tell "P" about the "plans"...Our secret ;) I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done....
Jen

Carolyn said...

I am new to blogger and just love surfin' the blogs! So glad I found yours.

I love your boxes!

Carolyn