Wednesday, February 6, 2008

God Bless This Abecedarium

While in grad school I did this edition : God Bless This Abecedarium. It is a little ABC book with loose leaf pages in a drop spine box. It is a little edition of 10. The pages combine letterpress, chine cole, blind stamping, foil embossing, photo transfer and of course ... box making and other techniques. My under graduate work primarily consisted of printmaking and drawing so this little edition brought together many of the mediums that I enjoy. I really loved this project and process was really rewarding... and really time comsuming. This was one of my first experiences with letter press and I liked it so much I bought one (actually I just took a letterpress with a damaged trip off the schools hands).  I am sad to say that it is still in storage... Pat told me that if we brought it into the house it would be sold with the house (these things are big and very heavy)... so for now it storage it will stay.  

The drop spine box is covered in black book cloth and the inside is lined with marbled paper.  I marbled the paper myself.  Not something that I think I will try again soon.  



N is for NAILED, B is for BURNING BUSH and T is for TEMPTATION.  
I used masonry nails and attached them with wire to complete the I's in NAILED. 
(as in nailed to the cross).


S is for Stigmata.  
I did a drawing of the hand and printed it on to the pages and then letterpressed the word STIGMATA.  Finally, using my finger, I applied a touch of red printing ink.


V is for Virgin.
I am not sure how clearly you can see this in the photo but the word VIRGIN is blind stamped on white paper.  Quite appropriate I think.


Here are a few more of the pages.


No comments: