Monday, February 4, 2008

An inspired list

Not that I need any help creating lists... I actually make lists of lists... but I got this idea from another blog. Here is my list of things that inspire me.

1. negative spaces. (the empty space around objects). I am particularly fond of the the negative space between tree branches.

2. shadows and highlights. Lighting and how light plays off of and around an object can profoundly enhance (both positive and negatively) an object. Sometimes it is not actually the object itself that captures my attention but rather the shadow it casts or the light it reflects.

3. my boys. They inspire me to draw more. I love doing quick little sketches of them... especially while they are sleeping.





5. happy mistakes. Sometimes a project does not turn out as planned but that isn't always bad.

6. grids/ repetition . I don't know why... I just like grids and repeating patterns.  Things laid out in a grid pattern.   I love this piece by Rachel Whiteread (100 UNITS).  She cast the the spaces underneath 100 chairs in resin.  The forms below are the positive of those spaces.  There is something beautiful in the repetition of form.


Rachel Whiteread, 100 units


7. architecture. I love the designs of Frank Lloyd Wright, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Gothic architecture (cathedrals).

8. simplicity/ minimalism

Donald Judd


9. craftsmanship. I really get inspired by other artist who do what I do... and to it better. There is always room for improvement.

10. nature. I am often inspired by a stone or stick or pattern found in nature and think... that would look great on a box!

to be continued...

2 comments: